Health coaching is a relatively new approach to health care that is often misunderstood. In many ways, it is easier to answer this question by firstly understanding what health coaching isn’t.
Health coaching is not:
- Diagnosing or treating illness
While many people seek out health coaches to help them navigate complex health issues, I am not a medical expert. I cannot diagnose or prescribe treatment, nor do I want to. The best outcomes occur when coach, client and health care providers come together collaboratively to achieve the client’s goals.
- Telling you what to do
I believe that you are your own expert, and that you have the ability to come up with your own solutions. My job is to support and guide your through that process and provide educational resources if you need them, but ultimately, it’s up to you to implement your own plan.
- Being responsible for your success
Whether you succeed or fail is not up to me. Of course, I want you to succeed, but you have to do it for yourself…not for me. Being accountable is the first sign that you are ready for the coaching journey.
Health coaching is all about empowerment.
As a health coach, I want women to be empowered to make the right choices… for them.
No ‘one size fits all’ approach. No silver bullet or prescriptive action. No pressure to do things a certain way.
My health coaching approach is centred on your needs. That means I will:
- Ask you what you want to change and encourage you to set your own goals.
- Ask you to be personally accountable for your own health outcomes.
- Ask you questions to help you dig deep and truly know what you want.
- Provide the educational resources to help you make the right decisions for your circumstances.
- Support and motivate you through your transformation.
- Work collaboratively with your other healthcare providers to support your health goals.
At Thrive Over 40, my mission is to provide women with education and support to do what works for them.
I want you to thrive, not just survive.